Monday, November 7, 2011

Just a Walk in the Park/Cafe Culture

So homework is pretty great. For Daryl's class we were assigned to go to two big city parks.
Le Parc des Buttes-Chaumont et Parc de la Villette
I was pleasantly surprised. They were huge! Felt like I wasn't in a huge city.
Interesting thought: palympsest is the idea of re-writing over something that was before it. Many parks in major cities were built over something horrible that once happened. In the Parc de la Villette there were many execusions, bloody past indeed. So purposefully choosing these areas to build these sanctuaries, or almost church-like/meditational places has very interesting implications. Don't you think?
Either way I still loved the Parks and was FURTHER impressed with this beautiful city.
Food for thought. Except I am providing you no food.
Le Parc des Buttes-Chaumont:












Parc de la Villette




Continuing my enthusiasm for homework...
For Mary's class she sent us straightaway out of the classroom to go to a Cafe, take a sit at a table along the sidewalk and observe and write for one hour. No leaving early. No more than groups of three.
I think we stayed for almost two hours. We went to Cafe de Flore and I had the BEST hot chocolate. Dare I say, better than Angelinas. It was the speciale de Flore hot chocolate and it came with ICE WATER.
Anyway I observed more things than I thought I would. My notes were actually quite fun to read over. People are hilarious. And Parisians are so fun to just watch. Mostly because they dress and quoif their hair so well.


1 comment:

  1. i'm so mad i just found out about your blog. you're a bad cousin :)

    ReplyDelete